A root canal may be needed if the decay has reached the tooth's nerve. Essentially, a root canal involves cleaning out a tooth's infected root, then filling and sealing the canal..
1) An opening is made through the crown of the tooth into the pulp chamber.
2) The pulp is removed, and the root canals are cleaned, enlarged and shaped.
3) The infected area is medicated.
4) The root canals are filled.
5) The crown opening is filled with a temporary.
Why a Root Canal?
A cavity that has been left untreated can become larger. Once the cavity reaches the pulp of the tooth, an infection forms at the base of the root canal, causing an abscess. This abscess is generally painful and will need to be removed.
A post and crown is used when there is not enough tooth structure left for retention after your root canal procedure to support a crown, a post will be placed upon the tooth root. Your doctor will then make a crown buildup around the post. After that, a crown will be placed on the buildup.
If you live in the Santa Clara area and are suffering from tooth pain, call 408-556-1333 and setup an appointment to have Northern Dental check your teeth and relieve your pain today. Don't suffer needlessly with tooth pain. Let the friendly staff at Northern Dental help you smile again.
Sometimes the infection persists even after root canal therapy. In these cases, an apicoectomy, or root end resection can be performed to remove diseased tissue.
1) An incision is made to allow access to the base of the tooth. The inflamed or infected pulp is treated and the canals are carefully cleaned and shaped.
2) A small filling may be placed in the remaining tip of the tooth to seal the root canal. The gum tissue is stitched back into place.
3) A crown is placed to protect the tooth.
The staff at Northern Dental would love to meet you and your family and provide you with the dental care you need and give you all smiles you deserve! Our office provides the dental care you need to achieve the beautiful, natural look you seek. We can even reshape your natural teeth to make them straighter and more youthful. Our office is easily accessible and makes it convenient to those living near Santa Clara to get the care they deserve.Request An Appointment Online
Or call us today at: 408-556-1333
We at Northern Dental are excited to offer our patients the unique benefit of significant savings on quality dental care. Because NDHS is privately owned, we are able to offer you what many others cannot, namely our exceptional care at reduced fees, all with you in mind. We are happy to have you join those who have discovered a great way to receive quality care AND great savings. So, welcome to Northern Dental Health Services!Learn More