Have you lost one or more teeth? Dental implants may be the right solution for you. They are artificial tooth roots surgically placed into a patient’s jawbone for an improved smile. Before you opt for implant dentistry, you must want to have a good understanding of the procedure. Continue reading to know more about dental implant types, risks and treatment.
What do you understand by dental implants?
Implants are teeth structures in the shape of a screw that replace missing teeth. This screw-like structure is surgically inserted into your jawbone. They act as an anchor for your artificial tooth. With the help of an abutment, the implant is connected to the artificial tooth.
Implants offer several benefits over other replacement procedures like dentures and bridges.
- They are comfortable and offer a natural appearance.
- The success rate is higher.
- The ability to chew is improved.
- The chances of cavity development in nearby teeth are minimum.
- The bone structure is maintained well.
- Less sensitivity in the surrounding teeth
- They are not removable, so the hustle of taking out and cleaning every day is removed.
Types of Implants
There are two types of implants: Endosteal implant and subperiosteal implants.
Endosteal is the most common type in which your dentist will insert them in the jawbone. Each implant can hold one or more artificial teeth.
Subperiosteal implants are fixed on the top of the jawbone. This type is suitable for patients who don’t have much height to their jawbone.
Not everyone is eligible to get implants. Dentists should not continue the procedure with people having:
- Acute illness.
- Non-controllable metabolic diseases.
- Infection in the bones or soft tissues.
The above issues if resolved, a person can undergo surgery.
Dentists may also refrain from treating patients with:
- Severe smoking habit.
- Habits like teeth grinding or clenching.
- HIV positive.
Get ready for a brand new smile!
If you are tired of hiding your smiles due to missing teeth, visit us at Accu Dental Orthodontics and avail the best services of dental implants today.